Saturday 12 January 2013

Masters is coming!!!


Masters is coming!!!

Ever since MASTERS was instigated in 2010 and held at Metagames (I am not sure of all parties involved) it has become a yearly event bringing in eternal players out of the woodwork and from all over the country. Every year it has had the largest Vintage and Legacy tournaments (to my knowledge) to be held in Australia. Masters holds a special place of my heart as it was the first sanctioned Vintage event I played in. It was the culmination of all the hard work I had put into Magic. I had over the year: discovered the best format, struggled to understand the fine intricacies and interactions found there, pieced together my own deck from working at The Reject Shop and buying the cards as I went and was rewarded with taking a budget deck to what I felt was a high place finish (9th).  While my Masters 2012 Vintage journey was not as successful I still had a great time playing my favourite format. Masters 2012 also was my first taste of Masters Legacy and Highlander in which I had a ball.

With Masters 2013 a tiny speck on the horizon, I have been asked to organise the event and I have accepted that responsibility. I hope to make Masters 2013 the biggest Masters yet. There will be some changes to the format of the event making it all round a more enjoyable experience.  With the organisation of Next Level Games’ monthly eternal tournaments as well as other events such as the WMCQ side events in addition to the experience of two consecutive Masters I have learnt many invaluable lessons about what is most conducive to a good tournament environment.

One of the changes will be the introduction of the Qualifier series. These will be tournaments held prior to Masters 2013 whose top prizes will include free entry to their respective Masters event. These events will be larger than the regular NLG events will have prize support to match this. 100% of all monies collected will be offered in prize support or go directly to the support of the Masters prize pool. These tournaments will be used to gauge interest in the formats so I encourage you all to attend them and have a great time while duking it out for some awesome prizes and free entry to Masters. There will be at least two of these events for each format prior to Masters so if you cannot attend one it will not be the end of the world.

The first of these qualifier events will be

Vintage Masters Qualifier
When: Saturday 2nd February 2013
Where: Next Level Games
Format: Vintage
10 Proxies will be allowed between main deck and sideboard

Entry: $25
Support:
Top 2 receive free entry to Vintage Masters 2013
1st: TBA
2nd: TBA

Legacy Masters Qualifier
Where: Next Level Games
When: 23rd March 2013
Entry: $25
Prizes:
Top 2 players receive free entry to Legacy Masters 2013
1st: Underground Sea
2nd: Force of Will
Guaranteed


Other changes I have instigated for Masters 2013 include:

The change of Legacy to a Saturday or Sunday DAY tournament. This will ease to travel both to and from this event. I hope that this change is well received and will bolster the already strong attendance of Legacy.

The change of the FNM format of the Masters weekend to Modern. While not a true Eternal format, its non-rotating status suits the nature of the weekend much more than Standard. This I hope will be more accommodating to everyone as it gives a chance for the usual FNM crowd to see all the fun that is eternal Magic.

I hope that everybody will support me as I strive to make this the best Masters possible. If you have any comments, questions or suggestions do not hesitate to contact me on here or E-Mail me at eternal.melbourne@gmail.com and I will respond as quickly as I can.  I hope that Masters 2013 will be as big as it can be and ultimately be a beacon to bring in more players to our favourite game.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment